Friday, September 5, 2008

Moon In Cancer On The Ascendant: An Interview

"It's a little Anxious," he said to himself, "to be a Very Small Animal Entirely Surrounded by Water."
-Piglet, Winnie The Pooh


(SCENE: The Interview Room. MATTHEW THE ASTROLOGER sits behind the desk. There is a knock at the door and it opens just enough for MOON IN CANCER to stick its head in and look around furtively)

MIC: Am I next?

MTA: Yes. Actually, you're first. Come in.

(MIC enters and hesitantly takes a seat) First? Why's that?

MTA: Well, you are on my Ascendant.

MIC: (Smiles) Yeah, ask me how that feels sometime.

MTA: Actually that was my first question. How does that feel?

MIC: I... I don't like it. Not a very safe place to be. I'm not comfortable with it.

MTA: I wouldn't have guessed that from casual observation. Moon on the Ascendant has a reputation for being personable. Kind of outgoing.

MIC: (Excitedly) That's a huge scam, actually.

MTA: Really? I would have never guessed that. You seem cheerful and outgoing. You've probably had a lot of people suggest you should go into sales or something like that.

MIC: It's a cover. A huge one. You know... Cancer rules "coverings," medically speaking... like the sheath around the brain.

MTA: I knew that. I asked you here today to discuss your personal experience, and even this early into it, it's been very revealing.

MIC: (Checking to see if its fly is done up, nervously) Revealing? How? I don't like the sound of that.

MTA: It's interesting. Like, for example, the way you walk. It's kind of like...

MIC: Like Charlie Chaplin, six months pregnant? I know. I've been working on that my entire life. My parents were very critical of that. There were also critical of that nasal whiny five-year-old voice of mine... which again, I've struggled hard to overcome.

MTA: Ah, the parents. Bet there are some issues there.

MIC: I'd rather not talk about it.

MTA: But parenting is always an influence, and especially with Moon in Cancer. You mother, for example --

MIC: I said I'd rather not talk about it.

MTA: Okay. Cancer does have a reputation for defensiveness --

MIC: Part of that comes from childhood. I was a huge kid... at times approaching three hundred pounds.

MTA: Wow, that's... well, you don't look like that now.

MIC: I know. Four months of nonstop prescription speed and self-deprivation when I was fifteen. Somehow, I think I permanently re-wired my metabolism.

MTA: That's interesting. Why do you think your weight was like that?

MIC: The classic. Emotional issues. Of course that all stems from my upbringing.

MTA: Which of course you don't want to talk about.

MIC: Right. I actually have a tremendous memory for things in general, usually. And for emotional slights, real or imagined, most of all. And I'm willing to admit that sometimes they're imagined. (Looking around to see if anyone else is listening in) Truthfully, it's caused me a lot of pain over the years. I feel EVERYTHING.

MTA: That sounds terrible. How do you cope with that?

MIC: Through a rich fantasy life... and by empathizing with everyone to the point where their pain trumps mine. And I cry a lot. Sometimes I make myself cry. NEVER with anyone watching though. Movies usually do it. Do you have any idea how many times I've watched the last 15 minutes of Magnolia or Kundun? Or Silent Running?

MTA: The 70s sci-fi movie with Bruce Dern? The one with the three little robots?

MIC: Yeah. Works every time. "When I was a kid, I put a note into a bottle, and it had my name and address on it. And then I threw the bottle into the ocean. And I never knew if anyone ever found it..." And then that damned Joan Baez song. Works every time. (sniffling) Excuse me.

It's a handy trick really... provoking sadness when no one is around. It's like relieving pressure from a boil. I learned it at a young age.

MTA: I'll bet that has something to do with --

MIC: I don't want to talk about it!

(Part of the "Personal Planets" series. Click HERE to collect 'em all!)
.
.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

OK OK!! don`t talk about it!!
But please forgive and forget. you`ll see the change.

Anonymous said...

I feel everything too.I feel to extremes.

Anonymous said...

I like this. I would love to read about Moon-Pluto contacts, especially Leo Moon conjunct Pluto on the IC and Moon in Capricorn opposing Pluto in Cancer (McCain).

Cancer is a tough placement but never to be underestimated.

Matthew The Astrologer said...

One thing that always leaps out at me about people with strong Moon-Pluto contacts... they're hard to kill. In American politics, remember Bob Dole, who should have died in WW II, for example....

Anonymous said...

It's like they're death themselves.

Btw, that ASC, my Sun is sitting on it :)

Anonymous said...

I like reading your posts; very insightful.

Unknown said...

Hi :) are you still on here ?

Matthew The Astrologer said...

I am... did you write me for your free stuff yet? :)